Tuesday, February 12, 2013

This I Believe Essay


This I believe.

Covering buzzer beaters, home team advantage, close games and complete blow outs, this I believe is my dream job. College basketball comes naturally to me. I grew up with the men in my life watching UK basketball and hating Louisville, Duke, Indiana and UNC. Knowing that I have to put the hatred of those teams behind me is hard, but something I am willing to do.
Growing up, I heard yelling at the TV and now I am doing it myself, I know this dream is a long shot, but something that will be worth the hassle and it is a dream that I know I cannot give up on.
In 2011, I went to my first college basketball game with my dad, and boy was it something I will never forget. Kentucky was playing a not so good LSU team. I was overwhelmed by the amount of people surrounding me, all together for one reason, Kentucky Basketball. The roar of the crowd during the entire game will forever be etched into my memory. That’s when I knew for certain that this was what I wanted to experience for the rest of my life. I want to experience the insane fans from all over the country. I want to hear the roars of the crowd. I want to watch young teams grow together and become a family in one. I want to be the one who gets to write about these experiences for the people who aren’t as fortunate as I am and aren’t able to go to the games that they dream of going to. 
The buzzer beaters, home team advantage, close games, and complete blow outs, every game will be something I will always remember. Every game I get to cover will be a memory that I will never forget. Reading other sports journalists work gets me even more motivated to reach to my dream job because I know they were once in my shoes, believing this is their dream job and they were successful. Sports journalism is my dream job, this I do believe. 

1 comment:

  1. I do hope your dream comes true for you. I know how much you love the game of basketball and you usually tell it like it is when Kentucky is winning or loosing. Great job in seeing it like it is and not only one sided. I do think you forget how you had to tiptoe around the house when Kentucky was loosing! :-) Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete