Saturday, January 12, 2013

First Day as a Blogger

             I'm spending a beautiful Saturday in Lexington learning how to start a blog for my journalism class. If you know me, of course I am doing this before the UK game comes on. 

            Upon receiving my first rejection letter for an opportunity in sports journalism, I wasn't quite sure if I even wanted to continue on the track of reaching my dream as a sports journalist. I felt as if my dream bubble was popped and I was facing the reality that teaching was going to be my only option. It was heart breaking and I had every intention of not continuing down this path. I shed some tears and called my parents, both of them influencing me to keep trying. But it wasn't working, I was set on just giving up. That was until I really took a look into what mom was telling me about famous authors getting rejection letters for some of their most famous pieces. This did relieve a bit of the pain I was feeling and opened my eyes to a lot. I had to realize I have never taken a journalism class and my last english class was in high school, 2 years ago, I'm probably a little rusty. Then I realized, maybe my dream isn't completely out of my reach, I just have to keep trying.


           Anyways! I'm really going to be blogging about sports that I am following, and no guys, it won't just be about UK, though we all know that is by far my strongest subject. I am going to try to be unbiased, as hard as that may be. I look forward to hearing from you!



6 comments:

  1. Yeah Shelby!! What a great attitude to start with. While you are following sports don't forget the NHL. Hopefully we will be starting soon and alot of intence games will follow. Good luck with your blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will be sure to watch them whenever they start! :) Are you going to get to go to a lot of the games this year?

      Delete
    2. We have half season tickets, which will be 15 games this time. Hopefully more if we advance towards the Stanley Cup! :-)

      Delete
    3. Hopefully meaning half the price too? :) And awesome, I hope you all do great! I know Jake is excited, he really likes hockey.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see that my sister inherited the talent genes in writing! I am blown away! I can barely write more than a few sentences before I want to scratch my eyes out. I'm proud of you, Shelby, and I know you will succeed in anything you want. Plus, I am more than willing to beat the stupid out of anyone or anything that rejects you and doesn't see and appreciate the talent and passion you have. I am truly jealous of your ability to communicate, because I can't. Love, Amanda

    ReplyDelete